Thursday, August 14, 2008

Baptized at Hitotsumatsu Beach in (Chiba) Japan

New Hope Tokyo baptism crew at Hitotsumatsu Beach in Japan.

Here's a short testimony I gave at Hitotsumatsu Beach in (Chiba) Japan, 13 August 2008, after I was baptized in the ocean. I spoke in English and our friend Yuka Yoshihara translated my short speech into Japanese for the group of (40+) people gathered (mostly from New Hope Tokyo) who had come for the event.

I was fortunately to have been raised in a Christian home, and I was baptized as a baby by my parents. I went to a Christian high school and college, but really didn't walk with God much at that time. I think this situation of being culturally Christian without really having a personal relationship with Christ is common in the USA now.

About eight years ago I attended an Alpha course and learned more about what it means to have a personal relationship with Jesus. Two years ago I visited friends (Daisuke and Cheryl Ikegami) living in Ichinomiya (very close to Hitotsumatsu Beach). During that trip I felt that God was giving me a passion for Japan. I started to pray a lot about how I could serve God in Japan and started to consider moving to Japan to do ministry in Chiba or Tokyo. Within a short time I met Noriko. She was not a Christian then, but God touched her heart and she became a Christian so quickly (within 3-4 months). Now she is my fiancee and we plan to get married soon and she will move to the USA.

I am so happy I could get baptized as an adult here by the same pastor (Shintaro-sensei) who baptized Noriko in the same area of Japan where I first felt God placing a desire in my heart for the people of Japan to know Christ. Thank you for letting me join the New Hope baptism event and to everyone for all your support.



After Richard's baptism at Hitotsumatsu Beach in (Chiba) Japan, 13 August 2008

UPDATE: New Hope posted a short video of the baptisms which were part of the Beach Camp last week in Chiba. Select the "Beach Camp 2008 Memorial" link on this page.

2 comments:

Brigitte Thomson said...

How awesome!
I am a mom of 4 children. Yesterday I brought our Japanese LABO summer homestay student back to the University to return to Chiba. He has been with us 3 1/2 weeks. In the Car we were listening to "My God is Mighty to Save". He asked my to explain what the song meant. Praise God he opened the Door of this boys heart and counted me He wants faith in Christ! We will send him a Bible but where can I direct him for a church? He said his parents would not mind if I sent him a Bible but should I expect this to upset them?
Please post your replies here I will check back daily!

eshibui said...

Hi Brigitte, Sorry I didn't check my blog for a few days. What area are you trying to find a church in Chiba?